Re: The "ideal" Eumaniraptoran arm motion

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Larry Febo wrote:

> Why such a limited motion in one plane?? Can that be
> called optimal? You`d think it had time to evolve more freedom of movement
> in the shoulder girdle.
> And the thought that this "optimal" restricted motion "just happened" to be
> the ideal for avian flight.........it`s just too hard for me to buy it.

I'm not sure in what way you consider eumaniraptoran arm motion to be
"limited."  Eumaniraptoran shoulders, like those of other tetrapods, were
ball-and-socket joints, and hence the arms could lunge in any forward
direction.  It's just that the wrist was constructed to operate in the
same plane as the elbow.

Nick Pharris
Pacific Lutheran University
Tacoma, WA 98447