Re: Arms into wings

In a message dated 3/4/99 1:53:07 AM EST, qilongia@yahoo.com writes:

<<  Because extant birds use one behavior apparently primary to another
 does not presume that an ansestral bird did so. >>

That's not my point. My point is that since almost all birds use their wings
for flight, why not explore the idea that wings did, indeed, evolve >for
flight< (my Heavens what a radical notion!!) before looking at other, less
likely reasons for the appearance of wings (e.g., display, brooding, predatory
striking tools, insect traps) and the strange exaptational scenarios that
these entail. It may, in the final analysis, turn out that it is quite
impossible for wings to have evolved for flight; that, unlikely as it may
seem, wings >must< have evolved for some other purpose and were later exapted
for flight. But we are absolutely nowhere near eliminating the argument that
the main reason wings evolved is simply to increase birds' control over their
aerial trajectories--to fly.