Re: Arms into wings

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Patrick Norton wrote:

> Pharris Nicholas said, in part:
>
> <I imagine the strike of non-avian maniraptoran theropods [snip] was
> accomplished in one swift, coordinated move..>
>
> This makes sense if the premise is that non-avian maniraptoran theropods
> were ambush predators.

It also makes sense if the theropod folds up its arms to keep them out of
the way during the pursuit phase and then when it catches up to its prey,
BAM!

> And I can't think of any living predatory Archosaurs
> that are not ambush predators, so maybe that's a reasonable premise. Anyone
> know of a living predatory Archosaur that uses something other than an
> "ambush" strategy?

Only several dozen species of falconiform and strigiform theropods!
(along with a number of species from other orders, including crows and
ravens)

Nick Pharris
Pacific Lutheran University
Tacoma, WA 98447