Re: The "ideal" Eumaniraptoran arm motion

Two thoughts.

Early birds may have been more interested in directing lift horizontally for
thrust and maneuverability. In other words, their goal may have been to increase
the achievable zenith angle of the force vector between the ground and their
feet.

Many birds can develop enough lift ("upward thrust") to support their body
weight during the entire upstroke, and do so whenever using the 'concertina'
gait (which by the way is a term I don't especially care for). Even when using
the vortex ring gait, they will often support their body weight through the
first half of the upstroke as their hands 'go up in the air'.
JimC