Re: Arms into wings

In a message dated 3/5/99 1:59:28 PM, randyk@ims.com writes:

<< I don't think that you can presume any characteristic of birds is basal
because all the birds you've observed have the characteristic. >>

Um. I do presume this. I guess if it were only one or two species, then what
you say makes sense. But when it gets to be general, why not presume?
Furthermore, if EVERY bird I observe does it, then I MUST assume it's basal,
mustn't I. All the humans I know have two thumbs and eight fingers. I think I
can assume our common ancestor had the same, can't I?

Tom Hopp