RE: T. rex

        -----Original Message-----
        From:   Sara Burch [SMTP:sara@burch.net]
        Sent:   Friday, March 05, 1999 6:03 PM
        To:     Dinosaur List
        Subject:        T. rex

        I am certainly not a T. rex expert, but here's a thought. Lions will
certainly
        take a piece of dead meat if it's available, and hyenas will hunt
down prey if
        they can't scavenge. Therefore, T. rex may have been mostly a
hunter, or
        mostly a scavenger, but that doesn't mean it didn't hunt or scavenge
once in a
        while. T. rex would probably have taken dead meat, as well as it
would have hunted.

        Sara Burch

           I think it likely that an animal as large as an adult
Tyrannosaurus rex would probably be
        reluctant to pass up a free meal.  Not only lions, but most
predators will do this.  The
        bone of contention (pun unintended) is caused by the assertion that
T. rex was almost
        exclusively a scavenger.

        Cheers;
        Dwight