Re: Arms into wings

<Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 21:31:27 -0800 (PST)
From: "Jaime A. Headden" <qilongia@yahoo.com>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Cc: Dinogeorge@aol.com
Subject: Re: Arms into wings

(snip)

  However, the arms for wings would only have developed from shorter,
less "flight"-apparent limbs. Feathers, that's anyones guess, but they
possibly weren't around until the Mid-J, in their most basal form,
while "birds" like Archie were hopping from ______ to ______ with arms
that could, in nessecity, glide and propel it through the air. A
glinding stage preceeding true flight involves feathers. If so, then
feathers reach from (around) *Eoraptor* up to Archie in full flight
capability. We certainly don't assume skin-gliding as in mammals and
those kooky lizards and snakes would have been a part -- this requires
long arms, which according to all forms of phylogenetic reasoning,
would not have existed until that ancestral maniraptoran. >

(snip)

<b> HEY!</b>.....Who is "We"?  What about my "Pterosaur to bird theory"??
Can`t it get ANY kind of recognition around here???.....(sheesh!)

Pterosaurs had the long arms,...and the skin membranes...see my webpage at:
http://www.capital.net/larryf/index