Re: AMPHIBIOUS MOSASAURS?

At 01:33 PM 3/2/99 -0500, Danvarner@aol.com wrote:

><<
> As for the kelp forest thing, ..., he talks about black
> shales being evidence of massive organic content in the
> mid-continental seas, ... >>
>
>  If I'm not mistaken, I don't believe shale is a kind of aquatic coal, ...or
>is it? Is there a geologist in the house? Help!

Not shales in general - *black* shales.  Basically dark black shales are
intermediate between regular shales and coals, and sometimes occur in
similar environments, or in shallow water near where coastal coals are
forming.  The blackness is due to a very high organic matter content.  (One
place where such shales are forming today are the tidal mud flats along the
Gulf coast).