RE: T. rex

        The categorical distinction "predator" vs. "scavenger" doesn't
appear
to be a very sharp one, as the discussion of hyenas vs lions shows. There
is now plenty of footage by Hugo Van Lawick and others showing hyenas
killing and then being driven away from their kills by lions. Lions also
steal from Cheetahs. On the other hand, hyenas are known to eat things
so dead that only the bones are left. Their powerful jaws can crack the
largest bones and extract the marrow from dessicated carcases. When Dr.
Horner
describes T. Rex as a scavenger, "like hyenas", as he has done, it is
not clear whether he means the complex of behaviors now known as
part of the hyena repertoire or the old, naive view of hyenas as the lowlife
of the the veldt. Eating fresh kills by other animals is still scavenging,
and killing by lying in wait, taking a bite out of something and then
letting it die from bloodloss so you can eat it at leisure is still
predation.
Predation and scavenging are each complex terms that describe behavior
patterns, not lifestyles.  Animals may easily switch from one behavior
pattern to another depending on availability of food sources, time of year,
and even personal preference. Large brown bears feeding on salmon adopt
a wide variety of fishing styles, including diving to the bottom and eating
the dead salmon who have already bred. The same species, on the same
river, at the same time, includes bears stealing from other bears, bears
fishing with their mouths open in the current, bears swatting salmon with
their paws, and bears diving to the bottom for the fresh dead fish.
        I worked on a fossil bed in Canada, on a dig organized by the RTM.
In addition to Edmontosaurus bones, among the most common fossils
were Albertosaurus teeth. There were also Edmontosaurus bones modified
by Albertosaurus teeth. There is little doubt that this was a secondary
deposition from something like a large river-crossing death site which
had been scavenged by the big carnivores. A large source of corpses like
this could have provided many large carnivores with enough body fat reserves
to last through a winter, if it occurred in fall, especially if they slowed
their metabolisms during cold weather. And yet, the same species
could have exhibited complex hunting behavior.
-G. Derkits