RE: Cooling Trend

Hi,

With regards to earlier messages about humanity setting fires to drive game
animals, that was most likely true but don't forget that a lot of forest and
grass fires are also started by lightning strikes, especially if the weather
has been unseasonably hot and dry.  As I understand it, this happens on the
African savanah every year although I don't know whether it would be enough
to cause a significant decline in temperatures.

On another note, remember when Mt. Pinatubo (spelling?) erupted? all that
volcanic ash high in the atmosphere resulted in a marked cooling of the
earth.  I'm not a geologist but it seems logical that periods of prolonged
volcanic activity might have contributed to global cooling trends, which
coupled with a comet strike, would have been enough to have an adverse
effect on climate thereby contributing to mass extinctions.

Any thoughts on this?

Arthur Friedrich

I was thinking along the lines of how some primative tribes might have used
fire to flush out game, and large fires may have  periodically gotten out of
control. Kinda like on the scale of those Yellowstone fires a few years ago.