Re: Cooling Trend

Hi,
In Europe and the United States, 1816 was known as "the year without a summer"
due to the explosion of Tambora in Indonesia in 1815.  This eruption made
Krakatoa seem puny by comparison, and Krakatoa is reported to have been heard
1500-3000 miles away when it exploded.  As a result of the 1815 Tambora
eruption, there was snow in the southern U.S. during June of 1816, together with
killing frosts throughout Europe and North America during the summer of 1816.
The failure of the corn (wheat) crop in Europe caused some starvation (I don't
remember the percentage of population loss, but it wasn't as severe as the Black
Death in 1349-1351).  The survival of the corn (maize/corn) crop in the U.S.
saved North America even though the wheat crop failed, so starvation wasn't a
problem here.  I don't remember the effect on the weather in Asia, Africa, and
South America.  I'm speaking from memory, so you may want to verify the
details.  Hope this helps.
JimC