Re: Museology

From: Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. <th81@umail.umd.edu>

>As someone mentioned yesterday, time to move on to some new topics.
>
>So:
>
>What would the ideal early 21rst Century dinosaur hall look like at a given
>museum?
>
>That is, what do you, the interested public, want to see in future dinosaur
>exhibits?

-snip-

>G. Derkits wrote:

>This also gives me an opportunity to complain about the Yale Peabody
>Museum
>Store.

....and me an opportunity to complain about their dinosaur hall.

The ideal 21st century dino exhibit would be something akin
to the complete opposite of the amazingly outdated dinosaur
hall at the Peabody Museum.  For a place with as much prestige
and $$ as Yale, their dinosaur exhibits are terrible, at least 30
or 40 years out of date.  What's up with that?

Dinosaur State Park in Rocky Hill, CT.  A state park with very little
prestige (an understatement really, it's practically unknown among
Connecticut residents) and much less money (an even greater under-
statement), has some great exhibits with a nice reconstruction of the CT
Valley from 185 million years ago. Far superior to the Peabody as exhibits
go, although more limited in scope.

Jonathan Weinbaum
Spockjr@email.msn.com