Re: Museology

---"Thomas R. Holtz, Jr." <th81@umail.umd.edu> wrote:

> What would the ideal early 21rst Century dinosaur hall look like at
a given
> museum?

I'd like to go to a local museum and see the focus on the animals that
were discovered there, in that locale.  Everybody has to have a
tyrannosaur cast, I guess, but an area rich in Triassic dinosaurs
would have special focus on, say, Coelophysis and the Poposaurs. I've
seen this in some local museums but in many the locals are stepped on
by the Late Cretaceous species.

I'd like to see the fossil skeletal elements of the more significant
species (at least) arranged so that important traits are front and
center, with large signs pointing out what is thought significant
about that element.  This would replace the typical life posture
mounting of the skeleton, which is a little ghoulish and often
obscures the most important elements of the skeleton.  The American
museum has magnified plastic type models of these key skeletal
aspects, but they're set up separate from the actual fossil and sort
of abstracted in appearance and effect.  Why not point it out on the
real fossil element?

A full size life restoration would be much better to the "Undead"
walking skeleton, perhaps with a reduced scale life-pose skeleton
model for reference.  Of course, not every animal could have this,
particularly large animals (although artists like Charlie McGrady are
producing some really colossal life restorations), but humor me; I'm
daydreaming.

==
Larry
The third was asked which animal was the smartest of all, and the Brahmin
replied: "The one we have not found yet."
---From Plutarch's biography of Alexander the Great