Re: Heavy Teeth??

At 10:08 -0500 9/3/99, Larry Febo wrote:

>Just saw the Discovery Channel show ..."Creatures of the Skies; When
>Dinosaurs Ruled". Heard Phil Currie`s explanation of how Sauropod teeth were
>simple and peglike, and that weight might have been a factor in their
>design. Being that the sauropod head was attached to so long a neck, weight
>saving a the head end would be a priority. I suppose that batteries of
>ornithischian type teeth would be a bit heavier than what sauropods would
>have evolved, but ....how much heavier when compared with that multi-ton
>neck it already was strapped with? I mean really!....how much would it
>matter to have some extra teeth? That explaination is also used in the case
>for birds loosing teeth as they evolved toward more modern forms.I also find
>that hard to follow.

Teeth sure don't seem to have hurt the pterosaurs any, eh?  Unless, er,
maybe that's part of the reason for their replacement by birds.

Laurie Nyveen                                  lawrence@dsuper.net
Editor, Netsurfer Digest - <http://www.netsurf.com/nsd/index.html>
DNRC Minister of Adding "ue" to Words That End in "log"
"All we are, basically, are monkeys with car keys."
                             - Grandma Woody (Northern Exposure)