Re: Museology

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999 08:33:54 -0500 (EST) Thomas R. Holtz writes:
>What would the ideal early 21rst Century dinosaur hall look like at a
>given museum?

I'd like to see more focus on habitat.  Too often, the exhibits are
presented as  "this animal"  without any surrounding context  (except
when the museum presents fossils still in the matrix.  What I'd like to
see is a more  'naturalistic'  setting.  I mean, animals peeking out from
behind appropriate plants; open areas for the plains dwellers; heavily
forested areas for the appropriate animals; plants with good explanatory
labels, after all, they co-evolved with the animals, too.  There
shouldn't be a volcano in nearly every mural which depicts
'environments'  (pet peeve).  After all, some plants and animals really
did live in swamps.

-zenlizard

When you're hungry, everything looks like a brain.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]