Re: Heavy Teeth??

> (Oh, it`s so easy to critisize!    8^).

Whatsamatter, no spell check?  ("criticize," Larry)!    8<#

As I see it, and as a certain Dr. Bakker would say, the sauropods were
processing their food 20 feet or so further aft of the teeth.  The teeth were
just for "raking" or "cropping" leaves (in the case of diplodocids and
camarasaurids respectively); what these teeth were doing is akin to what beaks,
rhamphotheca, and incisors usually do.  The teeth collect the leaves.  The
interminable esophagus then conveys the rough fodder to the crop and gizzard and
so on.  By having a bulky gut take over the all chewing and processing
responsibilities, the head is free to continually ingest food, almost like a
giant vacuum monster, wasting no time to chew or even think about chewing.  No
guts, no glory!  Ingest, ingest, ingest.  Gulp it down, and the digestive tract
takes it from there!  Just think how bloated we would all become if we could
consume food without any chewing for, say, 20 hours a day every day.  Those
poor, little ceratopids and hadrosaurids had to chew, chew, chew, all day long,
but not the sauropod, oh no!  It was free to consume like there was no tomorrow,
and so, to become the terrestrial titan of all time.  Until the world changed.
But that is a story for another day.
--
Ralph W. Miller III  <gbabcock@best.com>

"My name is _Seismosaurus_, King of Kings.  Look upon my gastroliths, ye
mortals, and despair!"