Re: Museology

<<
 What would the ideal early 21rst Century dinosaur hall look like at a given
 museum?

 That is, what do you, the interested public, want to see in future dinosaur
 exhibits?

  I would like to see more in the way of incredibly expensive paintings by me
on display, rather than that brush-pushing rabble currently on view. But
seriously (no wait a minute, I was serious!), although I felt compelled to
believe otherwise, I think that the newly-renovated halls of paleontology at
the American Museum of Natural History are wonderful models for what a natural
history museum can be. With the white walls and natural daylight combined with
tasteful lighting one feels more like you are walking through an art museum.
Your attention is drawn naturally to the specimens. Their inherent natural
beauty is obvious--no need to have some exhibit designer beating you over the
head to force you to look at something. The Knight and Matternes artworks are
safely displayed and you can put your nose right up to them. I grew up in the
sixties during the age of museums as black boxes with spotlights. This change
is very refreshing. I do wish, however, that the AMNH didn't have a shop in
every corner and even in the middle of a hall. Dan Varner.