Re: T. rex

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Norton <ptnorton@email.msn.com>
To: Dinogeorge@aol.com <Dinogeorge@aol.com>; derek@url.co.nz
<derek@url.co.nz>; dinosaur@usc.edu <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Date: 8. marec 1999 1:09
Subject: Re: T. rex

>Dinogeorge wrote:
>
>>Just out of curiosity, what would be the >next< largest predator in the
>Tyrannosaurus rex_ ecosystem? The one that _T. rex_ would presumably be
>chasing away from a kill?<
>
>The following dinosaurs are noted in the Dinosauria as coming from the
>Montana Part of the Hell Creek Formation (contemporaries to T rex and
>possible competitors for a piece of a kill):

(the list snipped)

>I can envision quite a crowd around a carcass, actually.

Thanks for the nice list Patrick. These are all theropods (in a broad
sense). However, the real competition was even higher when other animals are
counted in: what about monitor lizards, crocodiles (suppose most of the
killing happened at or near the water edge), pterosaurs...(who else??) Maybe
some other contemporary dinosaurs had taste for meet, too(possibly some that
are considered to be herbivorous were actually omnivorous ). If the carcass
happened to be  partially submerged in the water - there were also fishes,
turtles, campsosaurs...(who else?) The crowd around a carcass is getting
bigger! All of them both scavengers and active hunters. All direct
competitors. T.rex was probably the rarest of all - demanding quite a
"Lebensraum" for itself. Poor "scavenging" T.rex, really needed good sense
of smell and its pair of long powerful legs to get him to the dead animal or
what's left of it.
T. rex, watch out for those buzzing pterosaurs and birds in the distance!
Run as fast as you can or you're gonna miss yet another meal.

Berislav Krzic (Kržič)
illustrissimus@usa.net
ILLUSTRISSIMUS PRODUCTIONS
http://illustrissimus.virtualave.net/