Radinsky? (was Re: Museology)

At 09:39 AM 3/10/99 -0600, Jonathan R. Wagner wrote:

>        It also allows you to clearly illustrate concepts which may be
>harder to see. It's like the old Rozhdestensky (?!?) text on vertebrate
>design, where skeletons were abstracted into mechanical quasi-models, making
>it a lot easier to get an intuitive understanding of how the bones fit
>together and relate to the form of the body.

Might this be:

Radinsky, Leonard B.  1987.  The Evolution of Vertebrate Design.  Univ.
Chicago Press.

A great book, based on the late great Radinsky's non-majors undergraduate
vertebrate morphology/paleontology/evolution course at U Chicago.  I never
got to meet Radinsky, but admire his work.

One regret with this text is that the growth in dinosaurian functional
morphological studies primarily came after this book was written, so (for
example) details of iguanodontoid (or hadrosauriform, or whatever they're
called now) pleurokinesis or cursorial specializations in theropods or
details of the thagomizer are not in this text.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661