Re: Museology II

"Thomas R. Holtz, Jr." wrote:
> Display:  The lighting at the AMNH was thought to be an advantage by many.
> Certainly some types of exhibits might be damaged by too much sunlight
> (paintings, photosensitive minerals, etc.), but overall I like the natural
> light of that museum.

You get a smart enough person designing your exhibits and you get
someone who can plan on non-UV-emitting Halogen lights.  Never
underestimate a smart person on lights.  Whe the Academy of Science in
SF relit their African Wildlife hall so that in the space of 15 minutes
the lighting on the mounts changes from day to night back to day again
with a nice scampering-through-bushes-and-twittering-birds-and-bugs
soundtrack timed along with it (and the musuem had all the models
cleaned at that point), you'd be AMAZED at how much more vital this OLD
exhibit hall became.
Merely by cleaning what they had, lighting it better, and adding
sound.   (For you movie fans this is the same exhibit hall shown in
HOWARD THE DUCK)

> Technology: A few bits of new exhibit technology were suggested.  3-D
> holograms were one, although these would be sometime off before they are
> usable for effective museum displays.  Some tech currently available and
> suggested were: live computer cameras linked to the web, so that viewers
> anywhere in the world can see the specimens (already done at some zoos, and
> the National Geographic _Suchomimus_ exhibit); and laser spots which light
> up to highlight key features on a specimen when selected from a list on the
> exhibit panel.

an additional chachka effect used in the Star Wars prop exhibit
(pre-Smithsonion exhibit in SF itself) that I was particularily
impressed with was the panel of glass in front of the Darth Vader suit.
Not ordinary glass, this was a sheet of liquid cyrstal glass that would
opaque every 3 minutes so no one would hog time in front of the
display.  Way cool technology, and impressed me more than the suit did.

> Any additional thoughts on themes, particular taxa to be shown, displays,
> technology, etc?

I would dearly like to see:
-Little dinosaurs with ordinary household appliances for scale to show
not all dinosaurs were big and to relate this actual size to the great
unwashed.
-a set of lifesize (fiberglass? resin?) heads of different sp. of
ceratopians in a row at eyelevel for comparisons (climbable? MUST be
handable).  I can see photo opportunities here.
-BIG hit every place I've seen it, a diorama with a dinosaur you can sit
on to have your picture taken.  Can you guys afford Gurney?

-Betty

--
Flying Goat Graphics
http://www.flyinggoat.com