Re: Museology II

<< Dan Varner pointed out that we should have his paintings on exhibit, which
 raises a good point: the early and mid 20th Century saw a lot of paintings
 of restored fossil organisms on display within the fossil halls, but there
 is less so today.  This despite a flowering of paleoartists in America and
 abroad. >>

  I have mixed feelings about this, believe it or not. Natural history museums
are notorious for their mistreatment of artworks. There is the legend of the
Charles Knight mural of titanotheres in Chicago that was supposedly partially
cleaned with Janitor in a Drum. I've personally seen the old Knight stegosaur
painting with 8 spikes done for Lucas with a rather large hole in it in a
storage closet. I think that the new technology of digitally scanning art for
enlargement is a good thing as the original artwork may not have to be
subjected to such abuse.
  Sound is a great device when properly used. I used to feel very sorry for
the folks who used to have to work around the Dinomation exhibits of robotic
dinosaurs, however. The sounds were very irriitating. Made you want to pull a
plug somewhere.
  An enormously effective use of sound, I thought, was at the Tyrrell Museum.
Whale recordings were played in the seaway exhibit along with very effective
lighting. it may have not been terribly acurate using modern whale sounds with
plesiosaurs and mosasaurs, but it created one hell of an ambience. Dan Varner.