Poekilopleuron Part2

Subject: Poekilopleuron
From: THammann@t-online.de

Hello all,

there had been two questions for the source of the news about Poekilopleuron. I
found the news about it in an german online-article (March 4th).
It refers to an article in the french "Libération"-newspaper (March ? 1999). In
the following I've translated you the important passages from german into
english (please excuse eventually mistakes).

Nice Greetings, Thomas Hammann
P.S. Thanks to Ben and Pharris for your interest.

"The puzzle of a norman dinosaur"
When André Dubreuil, a retired mayor of Conteville in the normandie, was going
home one day in the year 1994 he found an orange-coloured stone with
impressions
of fangs on it. A paleontologist of the university of Caen recognized that
these
teeth-impressions didn't belong to a crocodilian but to a flesh-eating dinosaur
of the middle jurassic (about 160 million years).
Philippe Taquet, director of the laboratory of paleontology at the national
museum of natural history in Paris examined the find.(...)
In the 1830s Jacques Amand Eudes-Deslongchamps, a professor of natural history
in Caen, found pieces of bones in the limestone of Caen. With these pieces he
reconstructed an animal with the length of about 10 metres. In honour of the
british discoverer of the Megalosaurus William Buckland the Frenchman named the
new animal Poekilopleuron bucklandii. Eudes-Deslongchamps thought that it was
even possible that he an Buckland found parts of the same species.
Unfortunately
the remains were destroyed during second-world-war. There were only detailed
drawings left of them.
Because of this mysterious finding-history the find of the ex-mayor of
Conteville was kept secret till last Thursday. But now the people of the
laboratory of Philippe Taquet are sure that they are nearly able to solve the
puzzle. For the collaborator Ronan Allain the new find is a lucky chance. "The
discovered pieces of the skull are something completely new in France. I would
be satisfied if I would have the skull because you know nearly nothing about
this group of theropods. It was bipedal, armed with claws, growing very fast
and
eating his plant-eating colleagues", says Allain.
"If this find belongs to the others we'll have the first complete flesh-eating
dinosaur in Europe." -