Re: Museology ll

Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:32:28 -0500 (EST)
From: "Thomas R. Holtz, Jr." <th81@umail.umd.edu>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Museology II

Any additional thoughts on themes, particular taxa to be shown, displays,
technology, etc?

Guess I was being (couch potatoe) lazy when I suggested that remote internet
cam. If I had a large museum, with a couple of large rooms to fill,(and
unlimited expense account),  here`s what I`d do...

I always loved to visit the AMNH,...since I was a kid. I especially liked
their dioramas representing actual scenes from Africa, or India, or anywhere
else on the Planet that I had never visited in my lifetime. I was also
impressed with the museums later expansion on this idea, by having whole
sections to walk through containing subdued lighting,and  sound effects,
even incense, depicting some enviornmental setting. As for their latest
arrangement of the dino, and other skeletons, it`s definitly an improvement
over the old, as far as variety and lighting of specimens...and I like
especially the lifelike poses that can be viewed all around, like that
display in the entrance hall of the giant Barosaurus rearing up on it`s hind
legs to protect it`s young, or the one depicting Allosaurus feeding off the
tail section of another dino.
Why not combine the two. Have a huge Diorama that folks can walk through,
complete with replicas of plant life etc, with smaller reptiles almost lost
in the vegetation, and mammals hiding in the brush ( with, of course, laser
pointers to reveal these hidden objects if the viewer can`t spot them on
their own, (like a hands on exhibit, "can you find the...."). After passing
through this Mesozoic ecosystem, the visitors would then enter another room,
with all the skeletons of the animals in the previous exhibit on display, in
the same poses as in the previous room, but in all their naked glory, where
the more technical issues and statistics can be pointed out.