Turtle nest gases ref.

I sent this a couple of days ago but didn't see it posted.  My apologies
if it was.

David T. Booth 1998 Nest temperature and respiratory gases during natural
incubation in the broad-shelled river turtle. Australian J. of Zool
46:183-191.

Describes temperature and gas parameters in a soil nest about 16 cms below
the surface.  During heavy rains "The temporary exposure of embryos to
moderate hypoxia (oxygen shortage) and hypercapnia (CO2 abundance) was not
lethal, but probably caused a temporary slowing of embryonic
metabolism...and thus may have retarded embryonic growth during this
time."

This turtle takes a whopping 300 days to incubate!!!!

I think this has implications for dino nesting.  If dinosaurs had
embryonic O2 demands approaching that of birds, they would be much more
likely to soak up all the oxygen and suffocate.  This suggests, then, that
organic soils would not have been suitable (because they hold water
longer) and that, therefore, dinosaurs were unlikely to bury eggs in
forest soils.

Indeed, many larger turtles are careful to bury eggs in sand, probably for
this same reason.