Museum Schizophrenia

What the postings brought out is that the "museum" now attracts 2
separate-- and slightly hostile-- audiences. Older baby boomers can
remember when museums weren't mass entertainment (though the Natural
History always was, I guess.) Now there's a real identity crisis in the
art museums where I sometimes lecture to the docents. Are we a Family
Outreach Center or an Institute for Advanced Study? Perhaps the answer is
going to be, daytimes, we're family, and on TuTh in special evening shows
for slightly more moola, Advanced Study. If you join the Members' Circle
at the Monterey Bay Aquarium, you get to come to special evenings when
you might actually stand in front of an undulating jellyfish without
three kids my son's age standing next to you saying "Yucky!" On the other
hand, my wife strongly approved that the SF acad. of sci served not just
expresso and cake like my art museum, but hotdogs and stuff kids could
eat.

Part of a general problem. In 1960s, living near the Met, I could take a
book, on a weekday, and read undisturbed near a favorite painting. Thomas
Hoving arrived with special shows and block long banners,  universal
college education created a mass audience, cheap jumbo jets brought the
whole world... try to get through the pandemonium near a Van Gogh these
days..... but this is progress, isn't it? In Paris, to see the Mona Lisa
over christmas I had to put my kid on my shoulders, so he could see above
the mob. In Beijing, there are parks with more people than trees, and
we'll get there eventually.
That old elitist,
George

George J. Leonard, Ph.D.
Professor of Interdisciplinary Humanities
San Francisco State University
530 Humanities Hall
1600 Holloway Avenue
San Francisco, California, 94132