[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Subject Index][Author Index]


I feel as bit foolish posting this, but I can't find an answer anywhere.
Generally, when a reptile is depicted with its mouth open (dino's included)
a flap of skin is usually shown stretching between its upper and lower jaws
near the joint. That membrane is present in extant reptiles, but what is it
called? What is its purpose?

Is it possible that some dinosaurs exapted this membrane to serve as a type
on non-muscular "cheek" (I'm thinking of the Ornithopoda  in particular)?