Museums

I've decided I'll add my two cents to the museum debate.

One thing I'd like to see emphasized in more museum displays is the
*uniqueness* of dinosaurs. All too often, they're portrayed as glorified
mammals.

Sure it's great to compare Velociraptor with modern wolves, and
Triceratops with rhinos, but they were so much more complex than this.
(Incidentally, I'm writing a paper at the moment discussing why modern
horned mammals are about the worst possible analogy for ceratopsids, at
least when it comes to the function of things such as the sinus
complex).

An encouraging trend is that museums are less afraid to admit when they
don't know something or when something is controversial (e.g., the much
debated Barosaurus mount at the AMNH). I'd like to see more of
this--there are so many uncertainties in paleontology! It doesn't just
make good displays--it makes good science.

In short, I'm not so concerned about the technology end of things as the
intellectual end. And for my own pleasure, I'd like to see more
ornithischians (especially ceratopsids). There are too durned many
theropods nowadays.

Andy Farke