Re: Turtle nest gases ref.

John Bois wrote:

> I think this has implications for dino nesting.  If dinosaurs had
> embryonic O2 demands approaching that of birds, they would be much more
> likely to soak up all the oxygen and suffocate.  This suggests, then, that
> organic soils would not have been suitable (because they hold water
> longer) and that, therefore, dinosaurs were unlikely to bury eggs in
> forest soils.
>
> Indeed, many larger turtles are careful to bury eggs in sand, probably for
> this same reason.

The Madascan elephant bird seems to have buried its eggs in sand dunes,
perhaps because it was too heavy to incubate them directly. However
some megapodes seem to be able to utilise forest soils. Perhaps the
careful regulatory behaviour of megapodes compensates for this,
whereas turtles just lay and leave. Perhaps if dinosaurs
also tended buried or partially buried eggs then the soil composition
may not have been so crucial.

It would be interesting to compare the soil types associated with both
theropod and sauropod eggs. I can envisange theropods regulating
the incubation environment of buried eggs, but somehow sauropods
just don't seem to have been the most delicate of creatures (at least
direct incubation via brooding is probably out of the question).

        Dann Pigdon
        GIS Archaeologist
        Melbourne, Australia

        Australian Dinosaurs: