Re: Biggest Predators

Message from Thomas Hammann:

>First of all please excuse my English. (I'm still learning...)
>I wrote a few days ago about a German TV-documentary that asked the
question:
>Which theropod was the biggest? The three competitors Giganotosaurus,
>Carcharodontosaurus and Tyrannosaurus rex were about the sime size -
Surely you
>know this discussion better than I do...
>that a complete Deinocheirus would be much bigger than any other theropod.

If my memory serves me right, Paul Sereno was quoted as saying either in
Nature or Science (in an anecdote to an article about Carcharadontosaurus),
it's a moot question which of the three really was the biggest. What is
more important is that on three continents (N. America, S. America, and
Africa), a giant terrestrial predator ecomorph was occuppied in Late
Cretaceous times by three distinct genera (Tyrannosaurus, Gigantosaurus,
and Carcharodontosaurus respectively). You're right, all three must have
been very close in size to one another with only minor differences in
length and weight. (Note that the projected weight is dependent on how
these creatures are reconstructed).

Deinocheirus is possibly a gigantic ornithomimid, which are considered
carnivores of small animals, or perhaps egg-eaters.

Isn't it that T is a coelurosaur, while G and C are either abelisaurs or
close relatives?

Raymond Thaddeus C. Ancog
Mines and Geosciences Bureau
Philippines