Pure predation

>Well, to a point I was wrong about Ospreys being pure predators. However,
the fact remains that these birds of prey will not take carrion.<

I fail to see the distinction.  If my earlier post of a segment of James
Audubon's eyewitness account of Ospreys eating dead prey (isn't that
considered carrion?) isn't enough, let me add that there are documented
accounts of _smoked alewives_ (believe it or not!) being found in Osprey
nests in Maine (there is now way to argue that these were alive when taken).
I would also add that I have personally seen Osprey take mackerel from a
bait bucket on a lobster boat in Casco Bay, Maine.

Osprey do eat carrion, believe it or not.

PTNorton@msn.com
www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/galaxy/1962/