Re: Biggest Predators

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, Raymond Thaddeus C. Ancog wrote:

> If my memory serves me right, Paul Sereno was quoted as saying either in
> Nature or Science (in an anecdote to an article about Carcharadontosaurus),
> it's a moot question which of the three really was the biggest. What is
> more important is that on three continents (N. America, S. America, and
> Africa), a giant terrestrial predator ecomorph was occuppied in Late
> Cretaceous times by three distinct genera (Tyrannosaurus, Gigantosaurus,
> and Carcharodontosaurus respectively).

Of course, if Dinogeorge is right, and a)North America and east Asia were
not connected in the Maastrichtian (which I don't know enough to
comment on); and b)the large east Asian tyrannosaurs are a different genus
from _Tyrannosaurus_ (which I doubt), then there are four separate
megapredators, on four continents, to consider.

Either way, the "giant terrestrial predator ecomorph" was filled in the K
of east Asia as well.

> Isn't it that T is a coelurosaur, while G and C are either abelisaurs or
> close relatives?

Phil Currie thinks G and C are abelisaurs, but I wholeheartedly disagree.
And, while abelisaurs and other neoceratosaurs may be closer to tetanurans
than to _Coelophysis_, their skulls and hips (to name the parts I know
best) are _way_ too primitive for them to be carnosaurs.

-Nick Pharris