Re: Fwd: Superglue +'s and -'s

Danvarner@aol.com wrote:

> Subject: Re: Superglue +'s and -'s
> Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 19:39:36 EST
> From: Danvarner@aol.com
> To: 102354.2222@compuserve.com

> <<
>          If you are simply stating that superglues are not the "be all, end
>  all" of fossil prep, then I agree wholeheartedly:  other things work better
>  than cyanoacrylates in many situations.  However, they most certainly _do_
>  have their uses and, with a little practice, are a valuble part of a
>  preparator's tool kit.
>   >>

>   Like I said, ask the folks who know or attend a prep session at SVP. Find
> out what the pros and cons are from the experts. I am sure reseach has been
> done on this topic. I don't pretend to be an expert, but at least I know how
> to spell it...Again I encourage all interested to attend the SVP preparator
> sessions where you can get the straight poop on this. Dan Varner.

As a Materials Engineer and long-time lurker, I would like to offer these
factoids regarding cyanoacrylate adhesives:

    1. These materials are anerobic; they cure best when oxygen has been
excluded by firmly compressing together the surfaces to be joined.

    2. They require the presence of metallic ions to facilitate cure.
Accelerators are generally required only when joining non-metallics (they supply
the metallic ions).

    3. Because of the need to exclude oxygen, they tend to work less well when
used on porous surfaces.

    4. When using any adhesive, initial surface cleanliness is important.
Solvent de-greasing of surfaces to remove oils and loose particulates prior to
application of the adhesive will yield better results (this may not be always be
practical when dealing with fragile specimens).

                                                        Regards,

                                                                Rita