RE: Pure predation

This discussion was started by consideration of Prof. Horner's
rejection of T. Rex as a predator.
If the attempt is to deduce behavior from fossils, redefining
predation or scavenging will do no good. I think this argument
has just re-proved the point that "predation" and "scavenging"
are behavior patterns engaged in by most carnivores. Animals
whose life depends on acquiring enough body fat to withstand
a hard winter, or enough muscle to duke it out with their
conspecific competitors, or food that will ensure the survival
of their young will not often refuse a free meal unless it is
proven toxic (e.g. too rotten to eat). Survival of the fittest
often means survival of the fattest.
G. Derkits