Re: Biggest predators

-----Original Message-----
From: Dinogeorge@aol.com <Dinogeorge@aol.com>
To: veselinka.stanisavac@siol.net <veselinka.stanisavac@siol.net>;
qilongia@yahoo.com <qilongia@yahoo.com>
Cc: dinosaur@usc.edu <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Date: 17. marec 1999 9:20
Subject: Re: Biggest predators

>I had the opportunity in Los Angeles to compare Deinocheirus forelimbs with
>Tarbosaurus skeleton practically side by side in the same room. You can
>estimate relative sizes of upper-body cavities by comparing lengths and
>curvatures of scapulae. Let me tell you, Deinocheirus >dwarfed<
Tarbosaurus,
>if the cast skeletons on display have anything to do with reality.

I had the opportunity seeing the Mongolian dinosaurs on an exhibition, too.
True, Deinocheirus must have been almost twice as high (measuring at the
back) than the exhibited Tarbosaurus (3 complete skeletons). However, these
were not the biggest Tarbosaurus that lived at the time - these were
juvenile specimens. The biggest Tarbosaurus rivaled T.rex in size.  Rather
gracile built Deinocheirus would have had much better chances by fleeing
from this ferocious predator (regardless of its claws) - especially if they
hunted in pairs or groups.
It is quite probable that the Deinocheirus specimen available wasn't from
the biggest Deincheirus dinosaur either.

Berislav Krzic (Kr?ic)
illustrissimus@usa.net
ILLUSTRISSIMUS PRODUCTIONS
http://illustrissimus.virtualave.net/
DINOSAUR ILLUSTRATED MAGAZINE (updated recently)
http://illustrissimus.virtualave.net/dimfront.html
BERI'S DINOSAUR WORLD (updated recently)
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/1638/front.html