Re: Superglue +'s and -'s

>         Try gluing, for example, a neural spine to the vertebra of a
> medium-sized dinosaur or mammal with butvar or PVA and you'll see why
> superglue is not as bad as you say.  Butvar and PVA are excellent
> _consolidants_, but they are not _adhesives_.  (I've tried it; it simply
> does _not_ work.)

I've managed to use B-98 (butvar) to  repair an ammonite I managed to break
along a very thin edge.  The ammonite was rotten with pyrite, which is in fact
why the specimen was being set up for display.  I managed to break off two
chunks just by picking the specimen up the wrong way.  There is a hole through
the specimen, with a thin bridge of shell material left along the outer edge.
I broke off this bridge and a large chunk from around edge of the hole.  I
managed to get it all back together for mounting by using very thick B-98,
almost 50/50, and placing it in a sand tray to set up.  This method was also
used to repair a _Protosphyraena_ fin.  My fellow preparator who repaired the
fin told me of this method.

I don't know if it could be pulled off without a sandtray, or some other method
of holding the specimen parts in place while the butvar sets up, but at least
both repairs have held up very well.

As regards Elmer's glue, or just regular white glue, if the collection is
properly cared for and tended to, shouldn't the degradation of white glue from
humidity be a controllable problem?  Just watch for it and fix it when it
happens.