Re: Late K, NA <--> SA Paleobiogeography (LONG)

Nick Pharris wrote:

> I seem to remember reading somewhere that what is now Baja
> California and part of western Mexico was originally connected
> to the western edge of British Columbia and Washington State--
> but I can't remember the time frame.

The other way around.  Pieces of British Columbia and Washington
state used to be connected to western Mexico.  Time frame was
Middle to early Late Cretaceous.  The ancestral terrane is now
inclusively called "Baja-British Columbia".  The pieces of this
terrane in Washington State are the San Juan Islands.

Strike-slip faulting similar to the San Andreas was responsible.

              <pb>