Re: Biggest predators

-----Original Message-----
From: Dinogeorge@aol.com <Dinogeorge@aol.com>
To: veselinka.stanisavac@siol.net <veselinka.stanisavac@siol.net>
Cc: dinosaur@usc.edu <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Date: 18. marec 1999 8:45
Subject: Re: Biggest predators

>In a message dated 3/18/99 2:35:34 AM EST, veselinka.stanisavac@siol.net
>writes:
>
><< I never saw them together to compare - but I agree - they must be
different
> genus -  especially their skulls look quite different .
> The eyes of Tyrannosaurs are more forward directed  - obviously it had
> better stereoscopic vision than Tarbosaurus.
>  >>

>Absolutely correct. Also, relatively longer, slenderer skull in
Tarbosaurus,
>with more maxillary and dentary teeth (e.g., dentary count 16 versus 13 in
T.
>rex) that are somewhat smaller and slenderer than the "rail spike" teeth of
T.
>rex, and skull much narrower behind, with occipital condyle visible in
dorsal
>view (so skull is held more horizontally than in T. rex; forwardly declined
>skull is part of the stereo suite of characters of T. rex skull). In
addition
>to generally larger size (est total length 14 meters vs. 8-10 for
>Tarbosaurus), Jenghizkhan has relatively taller dorsal vertebrae with the
>tallest neural spines (though still pretty short when compared with
something
>like Acrocanthosaurus) in Tyrannosaurinae. All tarbosaurini (Tarbosaurus
and
>Maleevosaurus; unknown in Jenghizkhan) had relatively the smallest
forelimbs
>of all tyrannosaurines, probably a synapomorphy for the tribe.

True. I noticed smaller teeth, longer skull and smaller forelimbs in
Tarbosaurus.

Can we agree then, that Deinocheirus wasn't a match for Jenghizkhan (ex
Tarbosaurus, ex Tyrannosaurus?) even with its huge claws and the best it
could have done was to run like hell on its (probably) relatively longer
legs?
I guess it would have done the same when confronted with smaller
Tarbosaurus. For example:a lion can bring down 4 times heavier than itself
cape buffalo, which isn't the animal you want to play with. My rough
estimate is that Deinocheirus was probably
"only" about 2 times heavier than the average Tarbosaurus bataar.

Berislav Krzic (Kr?ic)
illustrissimus@usa.net
ILLUSTRISSIMUS PRODUCTIONS
http://illustrissimus.virtualave.net/