re: Superglue +'s and -'s

>         Try gluing, for example, a neural spine to the >vertebra of a
medium-sized dinosaur or mammal with butvar or
> PVA and you'll see why superglue is not as bad as you say.  >Butvar and
PVA are excellent
> _consolidants_, but they are not _adhesives_.  (I've tried it; >it simply
does _not_ work.)

Sure it does. I've assembled a SAUROPOD vert with varied viscosities of
VINAC. The trick is when you make your batches of butvar or PVA, make up
about 5 different thicknesses. Yes, it does take time to set up, so you have
to rig up ways to hold your parts together. Big rubber bands, sandbags and
teen volunteers who happen to wander past work well. It's been assembled for
3 years now, and still stable.

I agree there are times when heavy-duty glues work better. For example, when
you are trying to put together something as massive as a large femur. You
need a glue with a bond that will be strong enough to hold the weight of the
bone. Super glue doesn't cut it here, either. It's just too brittle. I don't
like it, but 2 part epoxy works. What do you folks use for massive
fractures? Jurassic Jell?

In my experience, super glues and activators work best with small pieces.
It's hard to hold tiny parts long enough to get them to bond properly with
PVAs. Tiny fishy and dromie teeth turn out great with the thinner
Paleobonds, for example. I think the worst thing about "superglues" is that
they are very hard to remove without causing more damage. They also seem to
create impatient preparators who refuse to use another product when they can
just zap an activator on. All of these glues have proper applications and
ther is no perfect adheasive. I guess that is my long winded point!

-Sherry Michael
ANSP prep lab