Re: Biggest predators

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. <th81@umail.umd.edu>
To: veselinka.stanisavac@siol.net <veselinka.stanisavac@siol.net>
Cc: dinosaur@usc.edu <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Date: 18. marec 1999 14:50
Subject: Re: Biggest predators

>>Can we agree then, that Deinocheirus wasn't a match for Jenghizkhan (ex
>>Tarbosaurus, ex Tyrannosaurus?) even with its huge claws and the best it
>>could have done was to run like hell on its (probably) relatively longer
>>legs?
>
>Why on earth would _Deinocheirus_ have relatively longer legs?!?!
>Ornithomimids and tyrannosaurids plot along the same trend of distal limb
>length-to-femur length (Holtz, 1995 and elsewhere).  If _Deinocheirus_ is
an
>ornithomimosaur, it should have the same limb proportions of an
>equivalent-sized tyrannosaurid.

True. Thanks for correcting me Thomas. Wrong expression from my side - I was
referring to more gracile legs in ornitomimosaurs and probably (absolutely)
longer legs in bigger Deinocheirus. The ratio as you said is equivalent. On
the other hand, in absolute terms - Deinocheirus would have had much longer
legs (almost twice ? if built like ornithomimosaurus) than the average
Tarbosaurus
bataar. Identical hind limb proportions wouldn't help much Tarbosaurus in
catching more gracile and longer-legged Deinonicheirus.

Berislav Krzic (Kr?ic)
illustrissimus@usa.net
ILLUSTRISSIMUS PRODUCTIONS
http://illustrissimus.virtualave.net/