New Refs #34

And now some more that just came in....

Zarski, M., G. Jakubowski & E. Gawor-Biedowa. 1998. The
    first Polish find of Lower Paleocene crocodile Thoracosaurus
     Leidy, 1852: geological and palaeontological description.
     Geological Quarterly, 42(2):141-160.

Some parts from the butt area of the beast from Poland. Near-shore
sediments.

Azevedo, S.A.K. & A.W.A Kellner. 1998. A titanosaurid
     (Dinosauria, Sauropoda) osteoderm from the Upper
     Cretaceous of Minas Gerais, Brazil. Boletim do Museu
     Nacional, N.S., Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, No. 44:1-5.

This just came in but sounds pretty familiar to me. If it duplicates a
past entry, please excuse. It describes a 4-5 cm. Long osteoderm from
a tiantosaurid.

Prieto, I.R. 1998. Functional morphology and feeding
    habits of Quetzalcoatlus (Pterosauria). Coloquios de
    Paleontologia, No. 49:129-144. [In Spanish]

Suggests the implied scavenger habits of Q. are improbable because of
bill and neck morphology and inferred mobility both in the air and on
the ground.

Meyer, C.A. 1998. Jura- und kreidezeitliche
    Dinosaurierfahrten aus Zentral-Asien (Usbekistan,
    Turkmenistan). Natur und Museum,
     128(12):393-402. [In German].

Various trackways of dinos from Uzbekistan.

The new issue of Paleobiology just came in with some really neat stuff
- one of the best issues ever in my opinion. The most relevant one
here is a great paper -

Henderson, D.M. 1999. Estimating the masses and
    centers of mass of extinct animals by 3-D mathematical
    slicing. Paleobiology, 25(1):88-106.

This is Donald not Douglas Henderson, by the way. Pretty decent fits
to known modern mammals and nice for extrapolation to dinosaurs.
Really finally quantifying better this problem.

And then a big publication

Unwin, D.M. 1998(1999). Cretaceous Fossil Vertebrates.
    Special papers in Palaeontology, No. 60:219 p.

Includes the following papers of interest to the list...

Evans, S.E. & L.J. Barbadillo. 1999. A short-limbed lizard
     from the Lower Cretaceous of Spain. Pp. 73-85.

Another Las Hoyas lizard named Hoyalacerta sanzi, after the locality
and one of the neatest human beings I know, Pepelu (a.k.a. Jose Luis)
Sanz.

Gardner, J.D. & R.L. Cifelli. 1999. A primitive snake from the
    Cretaceous of Utah. Pp. 87-100.

Material of Ciniophis from Albian/Cenomanian of the cedar Mountain fm
in Utah. Oldest N. Amer. snake.

Evans, S.E. & Manabe. 1999. A choristoderan reptile from the
    Lower Cretaceous of Japan. Pp. 101-119.

Cute little elongate and aquatic reptile name Shokawa ikoi and with
phylogenetic analysis of this group.

Salisbury, S.W., P.M.A. Willis, S. Peitz & P.M. Sander. 1999.
    The crocodilian Goniopholis simus from the Lower Cretaceous
    Of North-Western Germany. Pp. 121-148

Nice reevaluation of Goniopholis material from that area.

Buckley, G.A. & C.A. Brochu. 1999. An enigmatic new crocodile
    From the Upper Cretaceous of Madagascar. Pp.149-175.

Mahajangasuchus insignis is described with nice phylogenetic and
paleobiogeographic discussion regarding what the specimen means.
Convoluted sentence, sorry. I'll let Chris go into detail, if he feels
like it. Seems like another paper of the quality I expect from him.

Suberbiola, X.P. & P.M. Barrett. 1999. A systematic review of
    ankylosaurian remains from the Albian - cenomanian of
    England. Pp. 177-208.

Nice, needed review of this material with much of unknown origin.

Wright, J.L. 1999. Ichnological evidence for the use of the
    Forelimb in iguanodontid locomotion. Pp. 209-219.

Trackways interpreted as iguanodontian suggest they had their front
legs out farther from the midlind than usually reconstructed in art
and skeletons. Interesting...

Overall a neat volume (I ordered one).

That's enough for now.

Ralph Chapman, NMNH