Re: hunting strategies

At 06:51 PM 3/19/99 +0100, you wrote:
>Message from: Thomas Hammann
><THammann@t-online.de>
>
>Hi all,
>
>if I compare big theropods with big cats of today I'm asking myself if they
had
>also different hunting strategies as the modern top-predators. For example
these
>strategies depend much on the environment (open landscapes; rainforests;
>mountains, deserts and so on...). Is there a theory of different hunting
>strategies of dinosaur-species like T.Rex, Giganotosaurus or
Carcharodontosaurus
>which, as I think, lived also in different environments?

Having spent a little time (!) on that subject: yes, there are theories of
different hunting strategies in different theropod groups.  For a
net-accessible (if somewhat out of date) summary, you can see the article
entitled something like "theropod hunting strategies" on
http://www.dinosauria.com.

Or, check out the dinosaur list serve archives.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661