Re: Youngest dino remains

In a message dated 3/19/99 3:53:06 PM EST, rayancog@pacific.net.ph writes:

<< OK, then I'll say that "mammals are bats." More accurate too,
 I suppose. >>

No, you miss the point. When I say dinosaurs are birds, I am using the stem
group definition of birds as "all archosaurs closer to extant birds than to
extant crocodiles." This definitin includes the dinosaurs (and in some
phylogenies the pterosaurs, too) You can't define bats so as to include all
mammals this way, since there are many groups of mammals that have more
distant common ancestors with bats than the bats have themselves.