Re: Youngest dino remains

On Fri, 19 Mar 1999 Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

> When I say dinosaurs are birds, I am using the stem
> group definition of birds as "all archosaurs closer to extant birds than to
> extant crocodiles." This definitin includes the dinosaurs (and in some
> phylogenies the pterosaurs, too) You can't define bats so as to include all
> mammals this way,

Sure, I can!  I can just use the stem-group definition of bats as "all
amniotes closer to extant bats than to extant crocodiles."  The two are
precisely equivalent, and they drain the meaning from the terms "bird" and
"bat" in precisely the same way.

Nick Pharris
Pacific Lutheran University
Tacoma, WA 98447