RE: Youngest dino remains

Nick is correct. The point is which group is a subset of which other group.
Dinosaurs are not a subset of birds. Bats are a subset of mammals
in the same way the birds are a subset of dinosaurs. The use of "extant"
in the proffered definition ignores the vast number of species that, by
chance,
don' happen to be around at this time, but contributed to the evolution
of extant forms.
Gus Derkits