Re: Youngest dino remains

In a message dated 3/19/99 5:01:34 PM EST, pharrinj@plu.edu writes:

<< Sure, I can!  I can just use the stem-group definition of bats as "all
 amniotes closer to extant bats than to extant crocodiles."  The two are
 precisely equivalent, and they drain the meaning from the terms "bird" and
 "bat" in precisely the same way. >>

Unfortunately, they're not equivalent. There are no >extant< groups between
birds and crocodiles, but there are many >extant< groups that would fall into
this definition of bats that are manifestly not bats. Extant groups aside,
there is no real objection to redefining bats this way.