Re: Youngest dino remains

On Fri, 19 Mar 1999 Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

> No, you miss the point. When I say dinosaurs are birds, I am using the stem
> group definition of birds as "all archosaurs closer to extant birds than to
> extant crocodiles." This definitin includes the dinosaurs (and in some
> phylogenies the pterosaurs, too) You can't define bats so as to include all
> mammals this way, since there are many groups of mammals that have more
> distant common ancestors with bats than the bats have themselves.

(As I've said to George before...) Then _Dimetrodon_ is a mammal,
parasuchians are crocodylians, pareiasaurs are chelonians, etc., etc.

Nothing wrong with using your own iconoclastic system -- just don't expect
others to have any idea what you're talking about (without lengthy
explanation, anyway).

--T. Mike Keesey                                    <tkeese1@gl.umbc.edu>
WORLDS                                  <http://www.gl.umbc.edu/~tkeese1>
THE DINOSAURICON                               <http://dinosaur.umbc.edu>

_Eohippus_ belongs to _Equus_, _Australopithecus_ belongs to _Homo_,
_Mesonyx_ is a cetacean ...