Fwd: Emu 2

K. Wicks accidently sent this to me instead of the list and with
permission I am sending this to the list.

From: "Paleo Mont" <paleo_mont@excite.com>

Today I finished the dissection.  A few things I noticed were:

9 inch femur, and over twice as long tib/fib.  The patella was all
cartilage.  Oh yes those powerful 9inch apx wings of theirs... very
little
muscle attachments. Not even sure if they actually move their wings...
does anyone on the list now?  When I went to get my to birds I didnt see
them move it.  On the integument(skin)outside of the sternum, there was
a solid patch of keratinized skin.  Is this used as a protection or
skid plate in case it trips? :?)   On the trachea there was 3 inch by 1
inch opening...(in a neat pattern)  and an air sac.  Obviously this is
were they make there vocalizations.  Does anyone know or have disected
an allagator or crocodile... to see if they have a similar opening for
vocalization?  Oh yes.... the lungs.. they were packed up inbetween the
ribs nice and neat like...I am guess ing that, when the ribs move back
and forth during running this helps the bird breathe more/better , like
an extra diaphram.  Also in non-avain dinosaurs, is there any specimens
that this could have also happenend with them?

Well that is all on the emu.  I will have practice dissecting them soon,
since the one I am working on right now is for the college, I have
another one that I will use for my own theropod model, and this summer I
will be working with D.Trexler and going over muscle attachements.  plus
I may also become a owner of 1 or more emus.(free or a small payment)

k.wicks

www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/3381

Paleo Mont Park
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/3381

"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldnt be called research, would
it?" A. Einstein