Re: up!up!up!and away!

On Sun, 21 Mar 1999, GOBI 2010 (Jessica Wagar) wrote:

> In AP bio, I've had it hammered into my head that
> "As one goes up the phylogenic scale, complexity increases".

Sheesh, tell your AP bio teacher to join the 20th century.  There is no
"phylogenetic scale", there is no "up", and "complexity" is not really a
very well-defined or useful notion.  As our friend Mr. Darwin tought us,
organisms are as complex as they need to be to do what they do in the
environment they live in.

Nick Pharris
Pacific Lutheran University
Tacoma, WA 98447