Re: Disney's Dinosaur Movie

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999 Danvarner@aol.com wrote:

>  > > It grew on me. The devil on Bald Mountain was exquisite artistry by an
>  > > artist named Tytla. His genius came from his hands, not a computer.
>
>  > What the hell do we computer animators use -- our noses?
>
>  > Sorry about the off-topic post; I just get a little pissed off when people
>  > consider traditional animation somehow "nobler" than computer animation.
>  > (Especially after spending two weeks painstakingly working on a fully
>  > articulated six-limbed creature -- the computer doesn't do all the work,
>  > folks!)
>
>   It always surprises me how easy it is to inadvertently upset someone. I'm
> sorry! I was only trying to praise the animators of the original _Fantasia_,
> not to discredit modern computer animators--why would I want to do that?

Sorry; I'd read your statement as saying that the "genius" of computer
animation comes from the computer (a common accusation which is admittedly
sometimes true), but now I see what you meant was that it's amazing what
Vlad Tytla accomplished without computers (right?).

Just a little stressed from trying to get an animation done on time ...

--T. Mike Keesey                                    <tkeese1@gl.umbc.edu>
WORLDS                                  <http://www.gl.umbc.edu/~tkeese1>
THE DINOSAURICON                               <http://dinosaur.umbc.edu>