Dinosaur Genera List corrections #105

Adam Yates recently wrote to inform about the new name for the "iguanodontide
trapu" from Gadoufaoua, Niger, originally noted by Taquet in his 1975 and 1976
Ouranosaurus paper and monograph. This dinosaur was to have been described by
Fouad Chabli (M.Sc. dissertation, 1988) as Gravisaurus tenerensis, a name that
first appeared in print (nomen nudum) as far as I know in the bibliography of
The Age of Dinosaurs: Short Courses in Paleontology #2 (Padian & Chure, eds.,
Paleontological Society) in 1989. The bibliographic reference appears in David
Norman's article in that volume.

Yates writes: "Our library just got the most recent issue of Annales de
Paleontologie. In it was the description of a new name for an old Ornithopod.
Lurdusaurus arenatus is the name given to the long known massive ornithopod
from the Gadoufaoua, Niger. The partial ref is Taquet, P. and Russell D. A.
1999 (title forgotten) Annales de Paleontologie 85: 85-96. The article was
very brief and did not illustrate all that much, I really wanted to see a
skeletal reconstruction of this oddly formed ornithopod - Oh well maybe
there's a monograph in the pipeline."

Accordingly, I add, as the first dinosaur dated 1999 to reach me, the genus

Lurdusaurus Taquet & D. A. Russell, 1999

as genus #847 in the Dinosaur Genera List.

The list may be accessed on the Web at this URL

http://members.aol.com/Dinogeorge/index.html

Scroll to the bottom of the page.